- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (packed) chopped fresh parsley
- 9-10 inch pastry pie shell with top
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat, add the canola oil. Sauté onions and garlic until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, pork, bison, water, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring to break up any clumping if it occurs. Cook until the meat mixture is practically dry. This will take 20 to 30 minutes. Allow mixture to cool slightly, mix in chopped parsley.
- Set the oven at 450F, or 425F if using a convection oven.
- Evenly spread the cooled meat filling over the bottom layer of pastry. Cover the pie with the pastry shell top and crimp the edges to seal. Using a sharp knife slit the top crust in 2 or 3 places. Slits should be about 1 1/2 inch in length.
- Combine the egg and cream in a measuring cup to form egg wash. Using a pastry or basting brush, coat the top crust with the egg wash. Note: you probably won't use all the egg wash.
- Put the pie in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes before lowering the heat. Lower heat to 350F (regular oven), or 325F (convection) and bake for 40 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before serving. Also good served later at room temperature or right from the refrigerator.
Copyright 2017 - Bison Basics