- 1 1/2 lbs bison sirloin steak, or other tender cut
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken, or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- Cooked egg noodles
- Cut steak across the grain into very thin strips, about 1/8 inch thick. Set aside.
- Combine 1/3 cup flour, salt and pepper in plastic mixing bag. Add the bison slices, shake to coat.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a large non-stick skillet. Over medium heat, brown the coated bison strips, stirring constantly. Once brown, remove slices and set aside in a warm place.
- Clean skillet with kitchen towel. Place over medium-low burner; put in 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and cook stirring occasionally for 4 minutes, or until soft and transparent.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, reduce to low heat, cook and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle and stir in 1/4 cup flour. Add stock, dry sherry, and tomato paste. Blend, increase heat and bring to a slight boil. Stir in browned bison slices and cook for another minute or two.
- Remove from heat and blend in sour cream. Return to stove just long enough to heat through without boiling.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles, about 6 to 8 ounces dry weight per person.
Copyright 2017 - Bison Basics