HOME P.J.DUFFIN'S
BISON RECIPES
CHOOSE
GRASS-FED BISON
BISON MEAT
NUTRITIONAL FACTS
BISON
HISTORY
READING
RESOURCES
         Bison Boiled Dinner - New England Style

Bison Boiled Dinner - New England Style

Perfect for a special St Patrick's Day feast!


This is our favorite way of preparing bison brisket. The meat is first cured just like it is done for corned beef.

       Ingredients
2 1/2 quarts/liters
1 cup
1/4 cup
1/2 oz (2 1/2 tsp)
2 cloves
2 tbsp
2 - 2 1/2 lb
2 tbsp
water
Kosher salt
sugar
Cure #1
garlic
pickling spice
bison brisket
pickling spice (tie off in cheesecloth or use a spice ball)
       Directions

  • To cure, Cure #1, Prague Powder #1, Instacure #1, or what is sometimes called 'Sure Cure' is used. It is all the same product as long as it contains 6.25% sodium nitrite. The rest of the mix (93.75%) is sodium chloride (table salt). Some cures may contain a little less sodium chloride and contain less than 1% sodium bicarbonate and glycerin, but the most important ingredient, the sodium nitrite, is invariably 6.25%. That's what you will need for this recipe.

    Cure #1 should not be confused with Cure #2 which is a different product. It includes both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. Cure #2 is usually used to slowly dry cure meats. Once fully cured, Cure #2 meats can be safely consumed without being cooked. Many types of salami are made using a Cure #2 process, sometimes prosciutto is as well.

    Also, do not let the color of the curing salt be your definitive guide. Sometimes these salts are pink to distinguish them from regular table salt, sometimes not. It depends on the supplier. Always go by the label. If it does not state 6.25% sodium nitrite, it is not the right cure for this recipe.

    For on-line ordering and assistance, in the United States go to The Sausage Maker
    In Canada go to Malabar Super Spice

  • In a large pot, to make the brine, combine the water, Kosher salt, sugar, Cure #1, garlic, and 2 tbsp pickling spice. Bring to a low boil and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
  • Once the brine is chilled, pour it into a non-reactive container that is large enough to hold the bison brisket. Lie the brisket down flat and weigh it down with a plate so that it is totally submerged in the brine.
  • Refrigerate for 3 days. Remove the brisket from the brine, discard brine, and rinse the brisket thoroughly with cold water.
  • Place the brisket in a large cooking vessel, add 2 tbsp pickling spice (tied off in cheesecloth, or use a spice ball), and cover with cold water. The water level should be about an inch above the actual brisket. Bring to a low boil, then immediately reduce heat, cover, and simmer brisket for 2 1/2 hours.
  • After 2 1/2 hours of cooking the brisket is 'corned' and can be used for corned bison sandwiches if preferred. Just remove it from the cooking liquid and slice thinly on the bias against the grain. Serve on rye bread with good quality mustard, and some sauerkraut if preferred

  • If serving as a New England style boiled dinner, proceed as follows.
  • Remove the cooked brisket and some cooking liquid (about 1/2 cup) from the cooking vessel. Transfer to a holding dish, cover and place in a 200F oven.
  • At your option, add a 1/4 lb salt pork or pancetta to the liquid in the cooking vessel. Bring to a low boil.
  • Then add:
    3 parsnips, scraped and split into sections
    4 carrots, scraped and split into sections
    4 small white turnips, peeled
    4 small white or yellow onions, peeled
    12 to 16 small potatoes, scraped
  • Reduce heat to simmer and cook vegetables in liquid until tender-firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Add 4 to 6 wedges green cabbage, cover and cook to another 5 to 10 minutes.
  • Discard salt pork or pancetta if using, drain liquid and serve vegetables with sliced 'corned' bison. Garnish with chopped parsley if so desired.