All-Day Bison Breakfast Burger
- 1 large burger bun or Kaiser
- 2-3 oz cheese, grated or sliced
- 2-3 slices bacon
- 1 frozen bison burger patty (4 to 6 ounces in size)
- 1 large egg
- 1 thick tomato slice
- Split the bun, top with cheese, and set aside. Use whatever cheese you have available. What I used here was a combination of old cheddar and freshly grated Parmesan.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, or cast iron frying pan over medium-low heat until crisp. Drain the crisp bacon on paper towel. Pour all but 1 tbsp of the bacon fat from the pan into a small holding dish and set aside.
- Defrost frozen bison burger patty on auto-defrost in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes, or until the patty just begins to soften. (I find the best patties for this recipe are the pre-formed ones that are available from most bison meat suppliers.)
- Fry burger over medium-high heat. Flip every minute or so until almost done, about 6 minutes. Remove pan from burner, cover to allow burger to finish cooking.
- Set oven broiler on high. While broiler is heating up add some of the set aside bacon fat to a non-stick skillet. Over medium heat, fry the egg.
- While the egg is frying, lightly toast the split bun under the broiler. Bun(s) should be toasted just the point where the cheese is beginning to melt.
- Assemble: Egg on bottom half of bun, topped by bacon, topped by the burger patty, topped by the tomato slice and finally finished with the top half of bun. Add more salt or pepper, and condiments to taste.
Copyright 2017 - Bison Basics